Saturday, July 28, 2007

I'm Number Two!

Darn. Rob Lee is the champ, and he deserves it - he played excellent, steady golf, and made some great shots when they counted.

I began the day tied with Pete May for first place with Rob Lee 2 strokes down in second place. But my shoulder injury really hurt me. We began on Hole 16 of the Dineen Course and I parred it and Hole 17. Then I dropped my drive at the pin on Hole 18 for a deuce.

After that, I had birdie putts (mostly short ones) on Holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and missed them all. In fact, on Hole 4, I 3-putted for a 4! All a matter of not being able to bring my shoulder up on the putt. I also missed birdie putts on several other holes, as well as went OB on the long one. Not a great round.

Despite that, I shot a +1 and Pete May shot a +4, but Rob Lee shot a -4 and all of a sudden was 2 strokes ahead of me, with Pete 3 strokes behind me. And only 9 holes to go!

I was in such pain that some Michigan and Ohio friends said I needed something call "Hot and Icy" to put on my shoulder, which was actually everything from my right hip up to my shoulder now. So, Sheila and I ran out between rounds and bought some at a pharmacy. Boy, was it HOT! I think it helped cover up the pain mainly because it was so hot and painful that it spread the pain around. So, the back pain hurt my morning round, but was not a factor in the Final Nine!

On top of that, I took 1,400 milligrams of Ibuprofen! Still had some pain going, but by the time the Final Nine for us began at 1:10 pm, I was hopped up and excited.

I have to say that we had the most exciting Final Nine I could have imagined. It began on Hole 1 of Dretzka New (DN), an open field 440' hole. Remember, I started out 2 behind Rob Lee for first place. Unfortunately, I attempted a backhand roller and was so pumped up I hit a tree just 40' off the tee, just to the left of the tee area. My approach went past the pin, but was too long, so I took a 4. Now I was 3 strokes behind.

On Hole 2 of DN, an easy 240' straight shot, Rob threw a huge hyzer that must have won the tournament elapsed time in the air and parked his disc under the basket. I got air under my Z-Storm and went too far left. He got a 2 and I got a 3. Now I am down 4 strokes.

Hole 3 of DN is 325' and there is an OB road running along the right-hand side of the fairway. Everyone else took the safe route to the left, setting up for easy 3s. I gambled with a drive along the road that landed just 10' from the basket and got the 2. Now I am 3 strokes behind the lead.

The next hole, Hole 1 at Dretzka Original (DO) is one I had hoped to get all week. It is about 325' with the first 250' across an open field, but you have to hit a 30-40'wide gap and get an additional 75' in through the woods to the left to pin the basket. I threw an amazing drive that landed right at the basket for a 2. Rob was in the woods to the right, but managed to approach safely and get the 3. So now I am 2 strokes behind, again, like we started.

And, of course, I am quite re-energized.

The next hole, #2 DO, is about 290' down a woods tunnel with the pin placement slightly right and out of sight. I threw a Comet right up the middle, leaving myself a 40' putt. Rob threw into the woods on the left, but was able to get his approach out for a 3. Me, too, darn it.

Hole 3 DO is about 265 up a tight woods tunnel, slightly right, but the pin is about 30' out into an open field. I threw into the right side of the woods about 60' short. Rob also threw into the right side, maybe 40' short, but his disc bounced out into the fairway. Mine did not.

I managed to get an extreme anhyzer throw out to hit about 15' left of the pin, but the disc them rolled 60' let and under some low branches. Amazingly, I hit the keeling putt for a 3 and we stayed at 2 strokes different.

Hole 4 DO is fairly wide open, just a few trees, but forgiving if you go right or left. I pretty much parked the throw, about 15' right of the pin. Rob threw long and right and I thought I was going to get a stroke closer, but he his a great 60-footer for birdie. No change!

Now there are two holes left and 2 strokes separate us. The 17th DO hole if 319' down a tight woods tunnel with a right-hand twist at about 50' feet. I flexed by Z-Storm and it flew right down the middle, turning when it needed to, and landing about 25' short of the pin.

Rob threw into the right side of the woods halfway down and could not get a good second shot out. His third shot was about 10' from the pin, which meant he was going to get a 4. I had this 25' putt for a 2. Darn. It hit chains left and bounced out. One stroke remained between us with only Hole 18 DO to go.

That hole is 325 from inside the woods through a wide short tunnel to a basket behind a couple of guardian trees. My drive almost caught the turn, but was into a severe headwind and landed 60' left. Rob was about the same distance right. We each took a 3 and Rob Lee ended up with the 2007 PDGA Amateur Senior Grandmasters World Title. Whew!

Those who walked in our gallery with us thought they had been well entertained. More, with pics, later. Dinner first.

No comments: