Friday, July 27, 2007

We Have a Horse Race!!!

Okay . . . when we started the day I was 2 strokes behind Pete May (GA) and Rob Lee (TX), who were tied for first place. Here's what that group (minus me) looked like at the end of the day after we finished Hole 13 at Dretzka New. (Left to right: Hornsby, Lee, May)

By lunch, I was in first place - alone - and Pete and Rob were tied for second place, 2 strokes behind me.

At the end of the day, Pete and I were tied for first with Rob 2 strokes behind us and Chuck Hornsby 6 strokes behind him. Here are Chuck (left) and Rob (right) surveying our first hole of the afternoon, #14 at Dretzka New. As you may surmise, this is a very tight woods hole of about 260' with a constriction about 100' out that has so many trees in it that getting past relies on a good drive and a bit of luck. [The white birch trees are just left of the narrowest part of the f airway.] I did not have that luck. I hit an early tree and richocheted hard left. I also failed to get past the trees on my second shot and was thinking a "5" - not a good start. Instead, I hit a 1.5' gap, 10' in front of me with a forehand roller (Z-Storm) and made it up the undulating, stump-strewn fairway to have a 6' putt for a 4. Whew!
Sheila ended up in sixth place in Masters Women and, thus, does not get to play in the finals tomorrow. Bummer. But that means I have secret weapon - Sheila as my caddy!

Eight of us Senior Grand Masters play in the semifinals at Dineen tomorrow at 8 am, and then four of us in the finals at Dretzka at about 1 pm.

Chuck Hornsby will again be on the leader card with Pete, Rob, and I, as he shot the "hot round" of the day with a -4 at Dretzka New. Here he is in the morning, struggling with, but making, the putt for a birdie on Hole 14 at Dretzka New.

No comments: